12 Steps to Fine Tune Your Retirement
February 1, 2016
- Settle on a retirement date.
- Decide where you want to live.
- Do you have a LTC insurance policy in place?
- Calculate medical expenses / health insurance before Medicare is available. The Affordable Care Act provides another option for early retirees.
- Pay off/deal with debt – downsize your home, sell an extra car, relocate to a more affordable area.
- Calculate retirement budget – make sure you have cash flow from multiple sources of income.
- Review your social security and pension options.
- Be conservative when figuring your withdrawal rate – know how your expenses will change, such as travel, hobbies, “fun money.”
- Adjust your portfolio – reassess risk tolerance, consider annuity options.
- Meet with a financial planner – your retirement decisions are too important to make alone.
- Meet with attorney to review estate plan, living will.
- Test your plan using a stress-test – are you mentally prepared to retire? The change can be very exciting and scary at the same time. Make sure you know how to deal with the change, emotionally.
Jon Sanchez is a registered representative offering securities and advisory services through Independent Financial Group, LLC (IFG), a registered broker-dealer and investment advisor. Member FINRA/SIPC. OSJ Branch: 12671 High Bluff Drive, Suite 200, San Diego, CA 92130. Sanchez Wealth Management, LLC and IFG are not affiliated entities. CA Insurance Lic. #0772626.